The Pros and Cons of In-House and Outsourced IT
Our modern age is driven by technology, and the business world is no exception. Consequently, the reliance on IT in today’s business operations cannot be overstated. Over the past few years, business IT demands have seen an increase. This trend has led to many in-house IT teams finding themselves severely short-handed.
Whatever the current size of your organization, your IT demands are bound to spike as your business grows. To make sure you stay ahead of the times as well as the competition, leveraging outsourced IT services is critical. However, we know that such a change might seem daunting at first.
At On-Site Computers, businesses are always asking us whether it’s time to switch to Managed IT Services. We believe that is a question best answered by you. After all, you know your needs best.
As an experienced Managed IT Service Provider, we know that IT represents a significant investment both in terms of money and time. With that in mind, it is crucial that you are well informed before taking the leap.
To help you make an educated choice, we have come up with this article comparing internal versus outsourced IT services.
What Are the Benefits of an In-House IT Team?
Some businesses may prefer in-house IT solutions for various reasons, such as:
You Have More Control: Having a full-time employee dedicated to IT gives the business greater control over things such as:
- Task prioritization
- Quality of work
This has the potential to result in more timely IT solutions that are also in accordance with the procedures preferred by the business.
You Get to Enjoy Quick Response Times: An in-house IT department may be well placed to respond to IT issues as soon as they arise.
You May Save on Cost: Although this might not be the case, for the most part, in-house IT solutions could actually be cheaper at times. For example, in a situation whereby some unforeseen IT projects have cropped up, an in-house team would be able to work on it without upsetting the monthly budget.
Conversely, an MSP typically charges extra for such unexpected projects, on top of the fixed monthly subscription fee.
What Are the Limitations of Internal IT Support?
In-house IT support has its fair share of drawbacks. Here are some main ones:
You Have Limited Expertise: The field of IT is incredibly wide. However, most in-house IT departments include a few members who may lack essential qualifications. This is especially likely in the case of entry-level employees. On the other hand, our clients enjoy support from adequately-staffed teams of diversely-skilled IT experts. No, the IT problem is too tough for them.
You Get Limited Support: In-house IT guys typically work within regular business hours. That leaves a considerable amount of time during which your IT systems are incredibly vulnerable to several threats such as cyberattacks. MSPs, on the other hand, provide continuous monitoring, management, and maintenance of your systems. What about weekends? Holidays? We have you covered.
You End up Paying More to Hire Talent: Recruiting competent IT talent is not cheap. The cost of hiring a full-time in-house IT professional can rise to twice the cost of an MSP.
What Are the Benefits of Outsourced IT Services?
Deciding to partner up with a reliable MSP like will bring a host of advantages to your business. Let’s take a look at some key benefits:
- You’ll Be Able to Focus on Your Core: Outsourcing to an MSP frees you up, therefore, allowing you to focus on what’s important: running your business. Hiring an MSP to take care of your IT needs allows you to spend more time on other aspects of your organization that may require your attention.
- You’ll Have Access to High-End IT Infrastructure: MSPs already have well established IT infrastructure. Outsourcing your IT services will, therefore, eliminate the need for costly large-scale hardware. Also, maintenance and running expenses of such IT equipment fall entirely on your MSP. Leveraging a dependable MSP’s infrastructure helps to maximize your network’s uptime while minimizing spending on equipment.
- You’ll Have Access to Top Experts: A MSP team is made up of qualified and experienced IT experts who are more than well-equipped to provide IT solutions you can count on. Instead of depending on employees with limited IT experience, outsourcing to an MSP ensures your business is always running smoothly.
- You’ll Be Able to Save on Cost: A key reason why many businesses are moving towards outsourced IT solutions is to reduce their spending. Having a fixed monthly IT expense makes budgeting much more straightforward. An MSP model is, therefore, a much cheaper option compared to hiring and training in-house IT staff. The running cost for an in-house IT team is always going to be a challenge, mainly as your needs grow over time.
Furthermore, the MSP model does not require an on-site resource, unlike in-house IT.
- You’ll Have Access to Proactive IT Support: Aside from round-the-clock monitoring of your systems, dependable MSPs such as On-Site Computers will respond to an issue immediately arises, therefore, minimizing downtime. Beyond just timely response, MSPs are capable of forecasting future issues. This kind of dedicated attention means that your systems are always in top shape.
- Your Networks Will Be More Secure: Outsourcing to an MSP is the best way to shield your business against cyber threats. Thanks to their well-established infrastructure and technical expertise, MSPs are perfectly positioned to provide your business with robust protections against cyberattacks. Higher network security also protects employees from falling victim to cybercrime.
Ready to Outsource Your IT Services and Focus on Your Core?
Many business decision-makers have a hard time deciding on whether to outsource their IT services or stick to their IT department.
As a trusted Managed IT Services Company, On-Site Computers Inc feels morally obligated to educate businesses so they can settle on a model that best suits their needs.
That said, our team is eager to provide you with the quality of IT support you deserve. We are excited about working closely with your organization to help you achieve your goals.
Mike Bowe | Published on August 12, 2020